Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Scared to death

Last week I went to my routine Mammogram like I do every year. I came out of the place thinking all was fine. It was not.

I received a call a couple of days later stating I need to go to their main office and get additional views and an ultrasound of my right breast. I thought to myself that it was probably another cyst like they found  in my left breast last year. I was wrong. The Radiologist found a 7mm nodule behind my breast.

This Wednesday I went to my appointment. After getting my right breast mammography, the Radiologist wanted more views. When that was done I was taken to get the ultrasound. As the technician was doing the ultrasound, I could see what she was looking at, and it didn't look like any cyst to me.

The Radiologist came in and said that I needed to get a biopsy done. Right then and there I lost my ability to think clearly and ask questions. I just cried.

My biopsy is on December 28th. I am scared.  I am worried. I need prayers.

So, if you could say a little prayer for me when you have the time, I would greatly appreciate it. And if any  of you have had the same scare as I am, please share it with me.

Thanks.

3 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh, Antonette, I'm so sorry about this terrible news. I will be praying for you. And it's okay to cry.
Luv, Kay

New Jersey Memories said...

We will pray for you and hope that everything will be all right.

We're all pulling for you!

Raven/Missy said...

This is my first time reading your blog, but I will gladly add you to my daily prayers! I hope that this is something benign, like a fibroadenoma. I completely understand your fear and concern as I went through this same situation back in 2010.

Be aware that there are types of breast cancer that give false negatives on a needle biopsy. One such type is Phyllodes Tumor which almost always gives a false negative on needle biopsy and is then misdiagnosed as a fibroadenoma (which is not cancerous). It is a rare tumor, but is very different from usual breast cancers in that it does not travel via the lymphatic system, instead it travels through the blood vessels/circulatory system. This is the tumor I had in 2010. If at all possible, ask for a lumpectomy (with clear margins) for your biopsy, specially if you have a strong family history of breast cancer. I am not trying to scare you, please understand that. My experience has been that not many women are aware that not all breast cancer types are visible on mammograms, nor are they aware that some types do not show up on a needle biopsy. I did not know the latter until I was diagnosed with Phyllodes and researched it. My hope is this information will allow you to get the most accurate biopsy that you can by removing the entire lump.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that you results are good ones!