Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Patrick's Tuesday Two

THIS WEEK'S TOPIC: AGE

Do you feel your present age now? In other words, do you feel that you are younger, older or right at your actual age emotionally and physically, and why?

My Answer:

I am 34 yrs. old. I do not feel my age. I feel much older. Why you ask? Well I will try to make this shorter than your average novel but I have several reasons for my answer.

1. Age 14: When straightening out my horse's winter blanket, I tugged on the blanket and the buckle caught his "manhood" and so he kicked (I would have done the same thing if I were in his shoes). Well, he kicked out and his back foot planted into my mouth. I made it under the electric fence only to collapse from loss of blood. 52 stitches and plastic surgery was the result.

2. Age 15: As an accomplished rider, I could handle any horse. My parents recently bought me the horse I was training on from my instructor. Coming home from a friend's house, my horse got spooked and went into a full gallop. That was fine by me, I had no problems with that. I would gradually calm her down and reassure her everything was ok. Well from what a witness said, my horse tripped, went down on her knee and I went flying over her head and landed head first onto the frozen ground. The horse went home riderless. The driver of the truck called the cops, a neighbor came to my aide and I was out cold. I was in a coma for 3 days and briefly paralyzed on my right side for about a week. I recovered, however I had 4 crushed vertabraes in my back

3. Age 30: Driving to a house warming party on a bright sunny June day, a car turned infront of me (car facing me, making a left turn crossing into my path). I slammed into the passenger front corner panel. Evidently I was in and out of consciousness because I got out of my truck and collapsed on the ground in front of it. Out cold for I don't know how long. I was flown to a trauma unit. Surgeons had to stitch my head from ear to ear practically. My head was cut open to the skull and flapped down. Basically they had to lift my face up. I had approx. 400 stitches. Stitches in my hand from glass and all kinds of scrapes and such. I was in surgical care unit for 3 days. End result: permanent neck and back injuries, short term memory loss, lost a lot of my problem solving skills, brief studdering of speech, permanent body scars, permanent emotional scars. I still stumble and sometimes walk into things. I can't work other than a part time job and that's iffy. I tried to work full time and even part time for a while but as of right now I have not worked in over a year. And to top it off? The driver that hit me was under insured. There is more to this story but I don't think it's necessary to get into all of it.

So, that is why I do not feel my age. I am thankful to be alive, and I am still walking on my own 2 feet. Thank God!! It's taken me a while to get me emotionally stable, however, I am doing much better and becoming a happier person overall. Although, hubby thinks I'm still a mental case !

0 comments: