Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, September 17, 2005

John Scalzi's Weekend Assignment

Weekend Assignment #77: What do you want to be when you grow up?

This can be answered one of two ways: You can answer by saying what you wanted to be when you were a kid, or, you can answer by saying what you still want to be, one day, one way or another. It's up to you.

I have always been amazed and drawn to weather, especially severe weather. I think that started from watching thunderstorms with my dad on our porch. No matter what time it was at night a thunderstorm would awake us and we'd both rush to a window and watch the thunderstorm.

From then on, I wanted to be a meteorologist. As I grew older, my love for weather only increased more. Especially when I took Earth Science in High School, there I learned more about weather and also found something bigger and better than a good old New Jersey thunderstorm. What was it you ask? It was the force of a rotating column of air spawned from a super cell thunderstorm. The Tornado! I became so enthralled with "how, why, when and where" of a tornado, that I did my final exam about tornados and I was the only one in my class who got an A.

I wanted to become a tornado chaser and still do to this day. However, life got in the way. A couple of accidents, surgeries and combine that with showing my horses made it rather difficult to direct my attention to making my dream a reality.

So, here I sit, now 34 years old, tons of knowledge about weather, and I still haven't pursued my dream. However, I can still chase a tornado without being a meteorologist. There are people who make a living out of driving tornado buffs like me around looking for that F5 mile wide funnel spinning in a corn field somewhere in Tornado Alley. It's called Storm Chasing Adventure Tours . I will see tornado someday and I don't care if I'm on my death bed...I will make sure my dream will come true.

Personal Note: Since I haven't seen a tornado in person yet, obviously I did NOT take the picture above. However, it seems some people didn't read my entire journal entry, so I have to put up this disclaimer. That picture is from the Storm Chasing Adventure Tours web site. Thanks!

0 comments: